If you are avoiding alcohol over the festive period why not treat yourself with this festive berry smoothie, it’s packed with essential antioxidants.
Antioxidant packed festive berry smoothie (makes 2 servings)
- 1 cup of pomegranate juice
- 10 oz of mixed berries – fresh or frozen
- 1 cup of low-fat yoghurt
Place all the ingredients into a blender or smoothie maker and blend
Why are antioxidants important?
Antioxidants are important because they are compounds which protect our cells from free radical damage. Found in food and made in the body, there are many different types, each one protecting different types of our cells. Whether it is antioxidants in fruit, veg and nuts, or meat and seafood, a healthy balanced diet with at least 5-a-day portions of fruit and vegetables is recommended.
Some of the main antioxidants important for fertility are:
- CoQ10 – this antioxidant has shown in studies to help improve sperm motility and is thought to protect the DNA in the sperm and egg. There is plenty of COQ10 in salmon and avocados.
- Vitamin E – helps to reduce oxidative stress on the sperm and egg cells – found in bran, avocado, spinach, sunflower seeds and nuts, particularly almonds and walnuts.
- Vitamin C – helps prevent free radical damage to the sperm. It is also thought to help balance oestrogen and progesterone in women. Good sources are strawberries, kale, broccoli, potatoes and citrus fruits.
- Lipoic acid – helps with the reactivation of all of the other antioxidants. Also aids liver detoxification (helps remove excess hormones) as it helps to boost glutathione. It is found in red meat, spinach, broccoli, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets and yeast.